Selection of SBI POs goes through multiple rounds -
- A prelim exam - Objective type multiple choice questions - 100 Questions, 100 marks, 1 Hour duration. Negative marking is done for wrong answers. Sections are in English Language, Quantitative aptitude and Reasoning ability.
- Main Exam- Those who have scored above cut-off in Prelims need to go through a Mains exam. It constitutes of an
- Objective Test for 200 Marks, 155 Questions for 3 Hours. The sections are in Reasoning and Computer Aptitute, Data Analysis and Interpretation, General/ Economy/Banking Awareness and English Language. There is negative marking in this test for wrong answers.
- Descriptive Answer Test - It is for 30 min on English language (letter writing, essay etc).
- Group Discussion - For 20 Marks.
- Personal Interview - For 30 Marks.
The syllabus and schedule for the exams can be obtained from IBPS site which conducts the exam (www.ibps.in) , SBI Site (www.sbi.co.in/careers/ongoing-recruitment.html) or other info sites such as http://www.ibpsrecruitmenti.in/sbi-po-exam-2016-syllabus-details-preliminary-main-exam/ or http://www.recruitment.guru/syllabus/sbi-po-prelims-syllabus-pdf-2016-sbi-po-prelims-exam-pattern/
Do a very extensive practice. Not just your capability to answer questions, speed is no.1 priority in competitive exams. The real competition is not in terms of how many questions you can answer, but in terms of how many can you answer in the given time. Avoid attempting questions which you are not very sure of, to prevent negative marks. For objective questions, look for easy tricks which can help you analyse the question in your mind without spending too much time.
If you are finding it hard to prepare, joining a good SBI PO coaching center will be of help as they can identify your weak areas and improve on them. Otherwise you may loose an year. Note that the number of attempts is also limited.